The article describes how to properly configure POP3/SMTP email account in Microsoft Outlook 2007 in few simple steps.
Alternatively you can use freeware tool CodeTwo Outlook AutoConfig that will automatically create your email account in Microsoft Outlook 2007 just by providing your email address.
And here is how to do it manually:
- Go to menu Tools, Account Settings, E-mail tab and click New button (Fig. 1). In new window make sure Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP option is checked and click Next.
Fig. 1. E-mail account settings.
- Check Manually configure server settings or additional server types option (Fig. 2).
Fig. 2. Manual configuration of server settings.
- On the next page check Internet E-mail option (Fig. 3).
Fig. 3. Choosing the type of e-mail service.
- On the next page of the Wizard fulfill the following fields: Your name, E-mail address (bear in mind that the information from both fields will be displayed at the recipients), Incoming mail server, Outgoing mail server, User name and Password (Fig. 4).
Fig. 4. Internet email settings.
- Click More settings button, go to Outgoing Server tab and check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication option (Fig. 5). Confirm OK.
Fig. 5. Outgoing server (SMTP) settings.
- To check if account is configured properly click Test Account Settings button. If the settings are correct you will see the pop-up window as on Fig. 6.
Fig. 6. Test completed successfully.
- On the last page of the Wizard click Finish button.
Advanced settings of email accounts
Some servers require changing the ports in Outlook 2007. Go to menu Tools, Account Settings, in E-mail tab select the account and click Change button. Then click More settings button and choose Advanced tab (Fig. 7). Change the required port numbers, and also, if necessary, check the This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) option.
Fig. 7. Advanced settings.
Additional settings for gmail.com service
To be able to receive and send emails from gmail.com account you need to check Enable POP3 for all mail option in the gmail account settings (Forwarding and POP3/IMAP tab) - Fig. 8.
Fig. 8. Email account settings on www.gmail.com.
© All rights reserved. No part or whole of this article may not be reproduced or published without prior permission.